Note from Dan: Keith Finch is an attorney from Blacksburg. He emphasized this email should not be considered legal advice. I’ll leave it to my witty readers to imagine some company names they’d like to see appear on others’ caller ID screens.
By Keith Finch
We’ve not had a single robocall or call from a political or charitable organization in four years, and here are the steps anyone can follow to do it.
1. Form a corporation to own your phone line. Try to give it a very business-sounding name, like “Amalgamated International Private Mortgage Finance, Inc.” The cost is $75 at the Virginia State Corporation Commission website.
2. Get a tax identification number for your corporation here. This is free of charge.
3. Use your corporate documents and your tax identification number to sign up for phone service. In my experience, your corporation doesn’t actually need to open a bank account.
4. Put your new phone number on the Do-Not-Call list. When this takes affect, you won’t get calls from regular telemarketers.
5. The Do-Not-Call list doesn’t apply to to political or charitable organizations, but now they won’t call you either, because THEY DON’T CALL COMPANIES! Our friends and families have been complaining about all the robocalls and political calls they receive, but frankly I didn’t know what they were talking about, since we haven’t received a single one.
Technically you’d be required to pay an additional fee each year to the State Corporation Commission to continue your corporation’s existence, but frankly I’d be surprised if any phone company checks to see whether any of its corporate customers have failed to pay the fee (so long as the customer pays its phone bill).
(1) Your corporation name will appear on others’ Caller ID screens when you call using your new number, so you can give your corporation a funky name that fits your personality, like “Corvette Lovers Association of Virginia, Inc.,” so your friends will see something like “CORVETTE LOVER…” whenever you call.
(2) You become eligible to sign up for business telephone plans, which can give you better customer service than regular consumer plans.
(3) Added privacy from not having your real name associated with your telephone number.
Hope this helps!