Tuesday Column Reprise
Note from Dan: Merry Christmas, everybody! While I’m on vacation, I’m treating you to some oldie-but-goodie columns from the past. This one originally appeared on Oct. 18, 2009. It references, this column, on the web site World Net Daily, and contains many other nasty messages from self-described Christians who attacked a 26-year-old Roanoke County schoolteacher.
Thursday I received a bunch of e-mails from people who called me a creep, a sleaze bucket, a pervert and many other unkind names.
One expressed the fervent hope that I never procreate. But if I already have, he continued, I should give up my children for adoption so they would avoid my evil influence.
Those came from a couple dozen readers of the nutzoid news Web site, World Net Daily, after its editor, Joe Farah, called me a “twisted individual” in his column.
That stuff’s part of the territory that comes with opinion writing. We columnists need a thick skin.
Schoolteachers do not sign up for such garbage.
But that’s what was heaped upon Kathleen Renard, the William Byrd High School English teacher who loaned a copy of “The Perks of Being A Wallflower” to a student.
Renard, 25, also was the subject of a story on World Net Daily.
As a result, her school-system inbox was so flooded with vile, nasty and unkind messages that the school administration had to create a second e-mail address for her.
Roanoke County Schools gave me copies of some of those e-mails. We shall review excerpts here.
• “You obviously admire the acts of rape, molestation, masterbation[sic] and beastiality[sic],” wrote one e-mailer who identified herself as a high school teacher.
• “Ms. Renard, what road of perversion are you leading them into?” wrote another.
• “You are a very satanic loving person to give young people this vial[sic] material to read.”
• “You should never be allowed any contact with children, and I will make this known to your superiors.”
• “I can’t imagine you have any children and if you do I would wonder what kind of parent you are. Shame on you.”
READ THE REST OF THIS COLUMN HERE.