I have attached a MS word document expressing my thoughts regarding your blog. I suggest you post this as a “guest letter” on your blog so we can get some feedback.
Otherwise, I will consider a letter to the editor as a way to make my thoughts . . . as well as many like-minded folks known.
Please let me know your intentions regarding posting this on your blog as soon as you can. Otherwise, I will peruse other avenues.
I will begin by quoting your invitation to participate on your blog: “ Metro Columnist Dan Casey knows a little bit about a lot of things but not a heck of a lot about most things. That doesn’t keep him from writing about them, however. So keep him honest!
He welcomes your rants, raves and considered opinions, so long as the language is civil (i.e. no four-letter words). He’ll read all your posts and may or may not respond.”
Recently, I posed this question on one of Dan’s blog articles:
Dan, is your blog an officially sanctioned blog by the RT/Landmark? Are you paid to run and/or moderate this blog for the RT?
I will explain later why I asked this question, so please bare with me in the meantime as I provide some background on why I asked this question and hope for an answer.
Dan, there are certain regular and semi-regular contributors (me included) to your blog that attempt to add to the true spirit of dialogue you have asked for in your blog introduction. For the most part, we approach your blog from a more conservative point-of-view. Some of these are, Frank, Leon, Pistol Pete, John Wilburn, mikeo, Dave Hicks, Mike3, Terps and me, Another Chuck.
There are some “flamethrowers” from the conservative side too, which I did not mention. Outside of some occasional frustration, this group I mentioned above, tends to present reasonable observations, cites realities that attempt to hold accountable our current leadership especially, President Obama.
Following is a partial list of the realities we ATTEMPT to discuss on a regular basis:
- Unemployment is at 7.9% which is higher than when Obama took office. Additionally, the “total jobs available” number has been reduced by 8.5 million jobs.
- More US citizens are on food stamps than ever before.
- More US citizens are on welfare than ever before.
- Our debt has amassed shockingly more under Obama’s leadership than under any other President. Note: His policies are responsible for the expansion of the economy as well as spending.
- The US credit rating has been lowered for the first time during Obama’s Presidency.
- We have not had a budget for the US in 4 years. The budget proposals that Obama has sent to the Democratically controlled Senate have received 0 Yay votes.
- Obama extended the Bush tax cuts in concert with both parties.
- Obamacare is a tax and another costly social entitlement program.
- Due to Obamacare, some employers are cutting employees hours to part-time status…under 30 hours per week.
Guantanamo Bay is still open. Drone strikes are on the rise.
- 4 US citizens died in Benghazi including our Ambassador. The Obama Administration blamed this on an anti-Muslim movie for up to 2-weeks. The fact that this was a terrorist attack was known by the White House within 24 hours.
- The influence and control of the Muslim brotherhood is spreading during the last 4 years.
- We question why Obama is targeting certain weapons and magazine sizes for law abiding citizens, when most of the gun crime is committed in urban areas with illegal weapons.
- Generally, we question Obama’s agenda and his choice of priorities as President.
- Obama has owned a combination of 100% and 67% of the legislative and executive branches. Yet, many blame GOP obstruction on Obama’s lack of success. I don’t believe there has been one actual filibuster in Obama’s presidency?
I have more if needed, but I hope this list is adequate to make my point which will follow.
I believe this is a reasonable set of observations, realities and concerns regarding the state of our country and the effectiveness of President Obama. Here are some actual quoted words and phrases that are written in response to these concerns by a very prominent blog poster:
“non-sensical ramblings,” “deceptive,” “stupid lie,” “loony-tunes,” “willfully ignorant,” “get yourself some learning so you can catch up with the adults,” “liar,” “hater,” “silly fiction,” “out of your league,” “like a cheerleader in high school lifting her skirt,” and “ignorant.”
All of these responses are from you, Dan! And this is the reason why I asked my original question:
My point is, if you are a paid, or even unpaid representative of the Roanoke Times, perhaps you should be more focused on the mission of your own blog, which I assumed you wrote yourself. In my opinion, this should include reasonable debate on “stuff” you don’t agree with, or, “fits in” with your liberal bias . . . without the insults!
I realize my participation in your blog is 100% voluntary. I will end by quoting a post from one of your very liberal followers written today:
“Dan, how far down this rabbit hole do we have to go? When will enough be enough? Cannot the Roanoke Times give these people a place to vent and sniff each other and leave us alone?”
Dan, is this you want? If so, this will limit your blog participation tremendously.
Response: Best wishes, Another Chuck.