Outside this morning, cutting back the perennials in the butterfly garden and on the side of our house, I was the lucky recipient of some large, green insect chomping into my thumb. The thing was about 3″ long and looked something like a grasshopper. I’m not sure it actually was a grasshopper, although a quick internet search did tell me that grasshoppers bite. Who knew? I’ve always thought those things were totally harmless to people.
The internet tells me that it might have been a grasshopper, it might have been a mantis, or it might have been some sort of assasin bug, although it seemed too big to be one of those.
Regardless, my 7-year-old, who was helping me at the time, helpfully assured me that he was familiar with this mystery bug that was large, green and bit, and that he was pretty sure it was poisonous. Why is every bug poisonous to a 7-year-old?
It should be noted that a perfectly good pair of gardening gloves was sitting on a table a few feet away from me – not on my hands, where they would have actually done some good – because, although I own at least a dozen pair of gardening gloves, I don’t really like wearing them to garden, and am likely to not wear them unless there’s poison ivy in the vicinity. Or, as in the case this morning, I had already cleared the area where poison ivy likes to grow, and had peeled them off as soon as possible and thrown them on the table, where they had no chance of keeping my thumb from being bitten.
So, there’s a nice little mark on my thumb where I got bit – it drew blood – and now my son thinks some large poisonous insect lives in our side flower bed. Whe knew gardening was so darn dangerous?