Looking to save a little time AND trim the waistline this new year? If so, you’ll want to check out “Robin Takes 5″ by Robin Miller, the host of “Quick Fix Meals” on Food Network.
Miller’s new book promises 500 recipes with 5 ingredients or less, 500 calories or less, for 5 nights a week at 5 p.m. In other words, you’ll be able to fix a healthy and appealing meal for the family before you are ready to fold the laundry, pay bills and collapse in front of the television.
Examples of dishes in this cookbook include Southwest strudel with salsa, black beans and Mexican cheese; butternut squash risotto with smoked mozzarella, brown ale-battered chicken, stuffed bell peppers with rice and goat cheese, tuna-wasabi burgers with red ginger slaw and white chocolate-dipped dried mango with pistachio.
Wait, do I really want to give this book away? Hmmm… well, OK. Leave your comments on this blog entry for a chance to win. I will announce the winners tomorrow. Keep an eye out for the next cookbook giveaway tomorrow, followed by the end-of-week giveaway on New Year’s Eve Eve!
I’m going to share a couple of recipes from this book:
Southwest Strudel with Salsa, Black Beans and Mexican Cheese
1 (8 oz.) can refrigerated seamless dough
1 cup prepared salsa (best to not use fresh salsa because it releases too much liquid when it bakes)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Unroll dough on a baking sheet and press into a 12-by-8-inch rectangle. Top one half of the dough with the salsa, beans, cheese and cilantro. Fold over the side of the dough without toppings and press the edges together to seal.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting crosswise into slices.
Chicken and Spinach in Spicy Curry Broth
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 Tbsp. hot curry paste
5 oz. baby spinach
1/2 cup chopped scallions (white and green parts)
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown on all sides, stirring frequently.
2. Whisk together broth and curry paste and add to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Add spinach and scallions and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the spinach wilts. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and salt before serving.