CORRECTION: Horizon Bar & Grill has sent out corrected new hours. Please see the hours below. This post was updated on Wednesday, Jan. 25 at 3:30 p.m. End update.
* Today is National Cheese Lover’s Day, as if we needed an excuse to eat one of life’s most delicious foods! But just in case you did need an excuse, I’ve just given you one.
* Two by Two BBQ, a new barbecue restaurant located in Eagle Plaza on Tanyard Road in Rocky Mount, is holding a grand opening on Saturday (tomorrow, Jan. 21). At 9 p.m., after food service has ended, a Franklin County band called Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice will perform. Tickets for the show are $2 per person. If you have tried Two by Two, please share your experience with the rest of us barbecue lovers.
* I received the following announcement from Horizon Bar and Grill in downtown Roanoke regarding their hours:
“We apologize that due to the construction downtown, Horizon Bar and Grill will be adjusting lunch hours Tuesday through Friday. This will start effective Tuesday, January 24, 2012. This is just a temporary adjustment but due to lack of foot traffic and visibility we are unable to sustain a lunch crowd that allows the doors to be open. Also, we will remain open for dinner during the construction opening at 4:30pm daily. Since construction is not being done on the weekends we will be open our normal hours Saturday and Sunday brunch. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience and hope to be open again full time by early March. Thank you for your patience and understanding.”
The new hours are: Tuesday through Thursday, 4:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Over on Kirk Avenue, Lucky restaurant is now open for lunch Tuesday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. I understand that they will be having some special lunch items each day.
* From Virginia Tech: “Learn what’s so great about Virginia wines at the Virginia Tech Alumni Association’s “Food for Thought: Exploring Virginia Wine and Fine Cuisine,” Feb. 3-5 at the Holtzman Alumni Center and The Inn at Virginia Tech.
The weekend kicks off on Friday night with a sparkling wine and dessert reception at the Holtzman Alumni Center. Saturday’s schedule includes lunch, wine and food tastings, and seminars. The program culminates with the Saturday night wine dinner. Participants will stroll through the elegant food stations prepared by the award-winning chefs at the Inn at Virginia Tech and sample wine pairings chosen by industry experts. Attendees will also enjoy the music of a live band as they dance the night away.”
Registration and a full program schedule of activities for the “Food for Thought: Exploring Virginia Wine and Fine Cuisine” event is available online here.
* Virginia wines continue to garner national attention. At the 2012 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition earlier this month, 22 awards went to Virginia wines. To see a complete list of the Virginia winners, click here. To see the full result list, click here.
* And last but not least, National Pie Day is coming up on Jan. 23, so start thinking about what kind of pie you want to make or eat!
I hope everyone has a great weekend!