It sure has been an eventful week so far! And now I’m here to toss out a few other tidbits for your intellectual consumption:
* Diane Flynt, the owner of Foggy Ridge Hard Cider in Dugspur, will be at Tinnell’s Finer Foods in Roanoke next week to conduct a tasting of her beverages. She will also talk about the history of hard cider production and the interesting variety of heirloom apples she uses in her ciders.
Diane and her crew have earned many accolades over the past few years. Foggy Ridge cider has been featured in Food & Wine (twice), Imbibe, Esquire, Flavor, Gourmet, Garden & Gun, Saveur, Bon Appetit and several other national publications. In addition, Foggy Ridge was recently spotlighted on “Sunday Morning” on CBS. To see the full list of articles and awards, click here. To see an article I wrote about Foggy Ridge back in 2007, when they were still a fairly new company, click here.
Foggy Ridge Hard Cider is a real treat. My favorite is the Serious Cider, which is like apple champagne. All of the varieties are lovely and are worth a taste. If interested, head over to Tinnell’s Finer Foods at 2205 Crystal Spring Ave. SW on Friday, March 23 between 4 and 7 p.m.
* The 82-year-old Texas Tavern is featured in the April 2012 issue of Country Living magazine. It’s a nice little profile with a great portrait shot of owner Matt Bullington. Check it out on page 144 of that issue.
* Craft beer lovers, keep an eye on Senate bill 604, which has already passed the state House and Senate and now only needs to be signed into law by the governor. This bill would allow beer to be sold at breweries. Imagine that! Going to a brewery and being able to actually BUY a beer! You can track the history of that bill and find more details on the Legislative Information System website here.
* In case you happened to miss it, Amanda Codispoti reported on her blog, The Storefront, that CUPS Coffee and Tea is opening a second location on Brambleton Avenue. CUPS already has a shop in Grandin Village and will now be taking over the spot that used to house Dave’s Coffee Time and Mojo Cafe.
* Finally, do not forget to enter to win two tickets to the Celebrity Chef Tour at The Palisades Restaurant in Eggleston. There’s still plenty of time to enter! But please, do not leave your entry comment on THIS blog entry. Head over to the main contest post here. Thanks!