Response to the Virginia Cooperative Extension’s food preservation class on Aug. 1 was so healthy that they’ve added a second date to accommodate interested parties who could not get in for the first class.
The second class will take place Wednesday, Aug. 8 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Brambleton Center, 3738 Brambleton Avenue, Roanoke. Water bath canning, pressure canning, freezing and drying will be demonstrated. Class costs $5 and includes take-home materials and a jar of vegetables. You must pre-register because space is limited. To register, call 772-7524 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pressure canner gauge testing will be available at this class. If interested, just bring your lid only. Also, don’t forget the dehydration class is still scheduled for Aug. 16. For more details about that, click here.
While I’m on the topic of food events, here are a couple of other opportunities:
>>> Chateau Morrisette is having its annual winemakers’ dinner this Friday, Aug. 3, beginning at 6:30 p.m. This is a five-course meal featuring ingredients from the winery’s estate garden and local farms. Each course will be paired with a Chateau Morrisette wine. $75 per person; 6:30 pm. Reservations and pre-payment required. Reserve your seats by calling 540-593-2865.
Here are the menu details:
* Appetizers paired with Our Dog Blue: grilled watermelon tandoori with pea sprouts,
beef carpaccio straw mushroom roulade, shrimp couscous jewels
* 1st course paired with Dry Rose: lavender & ginger cured salmon
* 2nd course paired with Apple Wine: mini pork shank with green pea fennel coulis
* 3rd course paired with Chardonnay: smoked diver scallop, papaya melon brunoise, jicama slaw
* 4th course paired with Cabernet Franc: flank steak matambre with drunken cherry tomatoes
* 5th course paired with Coffee: chocolate & blackberry biscuit napoleon
>>> Roanoke County Public libraries are hosting a children’s Ice Cream Social, either at the library or a nearby park. Have your child bring a topping to share. Here is the schedule:
Bent Mountain: Wed., Aug. 1 at 2:00 p.m.
Mt. Pleasant: Fri., Aug. 3 at 2:00 p.m.
Glenvar: Mon., Aug. 6 at 2:00 p.m. at Green Hill Park
Hollins: Tues., Aug. 7 at 2:00 p.m.
South County: Wed., Aug. 8 at 2:00 p.m. at Darrell Shell Park (next to Penn Forest Elementary School)
Vinton: Thurs., Aug. 9 at 2:00 p.m.