There are a couple of special deals available today only that I want to relate (or, in the case of Krispy Kreme, reiterate):
* In celebration of the exact day the first Krispy Kreme business opened, the company is offering one dozen original glazed doughnuts for 75 cents WITH the purchase of one dozen original glazed today.
* Chick-Fil-A at Valley View Mall is celebrating “Cow Appreciation Day” today. If you show up dressed as a cow from head to foot, you get a free entree, side dish and beverage. Sounds silly, but my sister and her colleagues did it one year as a group. Man, I wish I still had that picture she sent me. If you don’t want to dress as a cow from head to tail, you can wear one cow accessory, such as a moo-spotted hat, and get a free entree only.
* Today is National French Fry Day. I don’t know of any free french fries available, but I thought I’d give you all an excuse to eat some fries today. You know, “I normally wouldn’t eat this sort of thing but it’s Lindsey Nair’s fault. She told me to do it.”
* It is also National Ice Cream Month. Ditto the excuse thing. What’s your favorite ice cream? In the absence of something homemade, especially if it’s homemade peach or strawberry ice cream, I’d vote for Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia. I’ve always loved that stuff.
* Don’t forget Taste of Culture in downtown Roanoke today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The cuisine is Philippino. Click here for more details.
* Local Roots Restaurant has a couple of special dinners coming up:
1. Heritage Chicken Dinner, Wednesday, July 18: “Help us celebrate the return of these flavorful birds grown exclusively for Local Roots with a three-course dinner and passed hors d’oeuvres. Brent Wills from Bramble Hollow Farm in Montvale, Va. will be here to talk about the farm and the birds.” $37 per person plus tax and tip. For reservations, call 206-2610.
2. Tomatolicious Dinner: Wednesday, Aug. 22: “We welcome Chef Jeremiah Langhorne, Sean Brock’s Chef De Cuisine at McCrady’s in Charleston, SC, who will pair with Local Roots’ Head Chef Nathanial Sloan to create all things scrumptiously, deliciously, juicily tomato paired with other culinary delights from right here in and around Roanoke. This is a prix fixe multi-course menu. Chef Langhorne has recently been voted a 2012 Eater Young Gun chefs to watch. Wine pairings available.” Price TBA, keep an eye on their website for details and call the number listed above for reservations.
Have a great weekend, folks!