Looking for something different for breakfast one morning? I guarantee you won’t find anything in Roanoke like the new breakfast offerings at Thai Continental Cuisine in downtown Roanoke. Owner Bond Songkhla recently added the breakfast menu, which is available Monday through Saturday from 6 to 10 a.m.
The menu features an American side and a Thai side. On the American side, you’ll find omelets, sandwiches, pancakes, french toast and breakfast platters made up of customary items such as eggs, bacon, sausage and hash browns. Prices there range from $2.50 for one pancake to $7 for the griddle cake combo or the French toast platter with eggs and meat.
But it is the Thai side that will fascinate the adventurous eaters among us. Here’s what it includes:
* Johk – Porridge served with an egg cracked in the middle, minced pork, fresh ginger, fried garlic, crispy noodles and scallions ($5). Add a savory Chinese donut called a pathongo for an extra $1.50.
* Khao tom – Rice soup topped with fresh ginger, scallions, fried garlic and chicken or pork ($5.) Seafood version is $7.
* American fried rice – Jasmine rice stir-fried with raisins, pineapple, cashews, peas and tomato sauce. Topped with a fried egg and served with a whole chicken leg, cucumber slices, two pieces of bacon and two pieces of sausage ($8).
* Chicken fried rice ($5)
* Shrimp fried rice ($7)
* Wonton soup ($5)
* Tofu soup ($4)
* Tao huay – Thai sweet almond-flavored gelatin served in a light ginger syrup ($3).
* Pathongo – Fried Chinese doughnuts served with either sweetened condensed milk sauce or pandan custard sauce ($3).
Beverages available at breakfast include coffee, tea, coconut juice, hot Thai tea or coffee, milk and lemonade.
Thai Continental Cuisine is located at 106 Market Street SE, and the phone number is 342-8111. If you try the breakfast, please let us know how you liked it.