Five area students have been named 2014 National Merit Scholarship Program semifinalists.
About 16,000 high school seniors from across the country were recently dubbed semifinalists making them eligible to compete for National Merit Scholarships, which will be awarded in the spring. The awards given by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation are intended to honor students pursuing academic excellence.
Students enter the competition by taking the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. Semifinalists are the highest scoring students.
The following students from the Roanoke and New River valleys have been named semifinalists:
– Emily Bender from Blacksburg high School
– Felicia Jiang from Blacksburg High School
– Benjamin Ottman from Jefferson Forest High School
– Joseph Jamison from Patrick Henry High School
– Lucas Moles from Hidden Valley High School