By Lee Ann Prescott
Where were we four years ago?
1. At war in Iraq, although the 9/11 terrorists were from Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates;
2. In fear of another 9/11; we couldn’t find Osama bin Laden;
3. Losing our homes to foreclosure and filing bankruptcy so widely that the U.S. changed the bankruptcy laws;
4. Spending more federal dollars than ever in U.S. history;
5. Watching our economy grow worse while Halliburton grew rich;
6. Seeing military suicide rates skyrocket; and
7. Being internationally shamed by photographs of torture.
Prescott, of Marion, is a former reporter for the Smyth County News & Messenger.