Are you ready for some football? We are here at So Salem — and all the other fall sports, too. In last week’s print edition, we previewed fall sports at Glenvar High School. This week, we look at fall sports at Salem High School.
And that makes now a good time for a few programming notes:
* We want your fall sports photos. If you have photos that involve teams or players from Salem or western Roanoke County, you can share them at email@example.com. We’ll post them here — and use as many as we can in full color in our weekly print edition, which reaches more than 90 percent of the households in Salem and western Roanoke County. We can’t be everywhere with our cameras, but you’re already there, so send ‘em on! (How do we do that 90 percent thing? See below!)
* Check here for junior varsity and middle school scores. Our cousins in the sports department at The Roanoke Times publish varsity scores, but not lower age levels. We will, and we have. Here are the most recent results. We care about all sports at all age levels. If you’re not seeing your school’s action here, ask ‘em to send it — or you can send your own report. Rec league, too!
In Friday’s print edition, you’ll see places where we say “see the Notebook” for more. Here’s a guide to where to find those online extras:
* Vote in our poll question of the week: Should the Salem Avalanche change their name?
* Fast Freddy’s says it will reopen, not sure when
* Photo of a bear in broad daylight in Bennett Springs
* More on the Western Virginia Education Classic football game
* More on Ashley Conner winning a model contest through Rack Room Shoes
* Video from the Old Fiddler’s Convention (where a Salem band took fifth place.)
* More photos from Salem After Five. And even more..
* More photos from Salem Star-B-Q
* Who’s selling beer to your kids? See which stores have been busted for selling to underage buyers.
And in sports . . .
* 101 fan photos from the Salem High School scrimmage at JMU. (We said we wanted fan photos, and we really mean it!)
* Photo gallery from the Youth Football Jamboree
* Photos of Salem’s fall sports teams
* Webcast asks: Could Salem face an upset Friday?
Finally, of course, school starts in Salem on Monday. We have Salem bus routes online. And how about taking some first day of school pictures of your kids and sharing them? Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Same for any other news and photos you want to get in So Salem in full color. For more info, see below.
* You can meet our community journalist for Salem and western Roanoke County — Miranda Adkins. She keeps regular hours at our Salem “bureau” — at Mill Mountain Coffee and Tea on Main Street. Here’s her schedule.
* So how do we reach 90 percent of the households in Salem and western Roanoke County? Here’s how: Subscribers to The Roanoke Times get it included in their Friday paper; non-subscribers have it mailed to them as part of the weekly Simply Savings advertising flier. Those two add up to more than 90 percent. Plus, we have some free copies available at Kroger, Food Lion, the Salem Y, and the Salem Mill Mountain Coffee & Tea, in case we somehow missed you.
* Are you an advertiser who wants to get your message to more than 90 percent of the households in Salem and western Roanoke County? You can find out more at email@example.com. Want to place a classified ad to reach your Salem neighbors? We’re at firstname.lastname@example.org