Here’s the official Roanoke County Police Department press release on Saturday night’s wreck outside Salem. If you missed it, police said a Salem driver led officers on a police chase until he crashed on Interstate 81 in Roanoke County. Here’s the original story from The Roanoke Times — with the police statement below:
Traffic Crash on I81
• Type of Crash: Single Vehicle Crash
• Date of Crash: 09/27/2008 Time of Crash: 2145 hours
• Location of Crash: I81 @ Exit 140
• Investigating Officer: Officer V. G. Branch
• Victim Name(s): N/A
• Suspect Name(s): Hickson, Ricky Allan
• Charges if Applicable: Eluding Police, 2 counts of Child Endangerment, Speeding and Possession of Concealed Weapon
• The road was blocked to traffic
• Alcohol and/or drugs were not a factor.
• Seatbelts were worn by the victim(s).
• Weather was a factor in the crash.
• Additional Remarks: At approximately 2145 hours, Officer Branch was attempting to stop a vehicle for Speeding on I81. The driver lost control of the vehicle as he attempted to exit southbound I81 at Exit 140. The vehicle crossed the embankment and came to rest on the entrance ramp to I81 southbound from Thompson Memorial Drive. The driver, Ricky Hickson, was arrested for Attempting to Elude Police, 2 counts of Child Endangerment, Speeding and Possession of Concealed Firearm. A passenger was transported by Rescue to Roanoke Memorial Hospital with minor injuries.