In DeWayne Harrell’s second year as head coach of the Spartan girls’ basketball team, four returning starters are coming to the court: Emily Richardson, Kenzie Poindexter, Kerri Belcher, and Alexius Patterson.
“I’m looking forward to this season-I think it’s going to be exciting to watch the girls play an up-tempo, full court game. I think the fans will enjoy coming to the games. Just watching them use their athletic ability to play the game full speed” should make a trip out to see the Spartans in action worth hanging out in high school gyms across the River Ridge District.
Last year’s record was 3-19, but “we probably lost ten games by less than five points, I know,” said Harrell.
“It’s just how luck goes … you just keep working and believing in yourself and it will turn eventually.” Last year, four of five starters made All-District first team or honorable mention, and the team is hoping to improve upon that.
“We have ten players this year-any of them could be starters,” he said.
Harrell is a librarian at West Salem Elementary, a former high school English teacher. 2008 will be his twelfth year coaching basketball, and his fifth year with the Salem program. He coached both girls and boys basketball at Eastern Montgomery High for eight years. Assistant coaches include Scott Hall, Raven Stovall, and Mike Gibson.
First row, seated: Megan Davis, Kenzie Poindexter, Bre Kawa. Second row: Alexius Patterson, Kerri Belcher, Samantha Clowser, Fallynn Payne, Soyini Fraser.
OTHER RECENT SALEM COVERAGE
* Nov. 20: Will Salem play in snow Friday night?
* Nov. 20: Webcast previews Salem-Pulaski playoff game
* Nov. 15: More photos from the Salem-Bassett football game
* Nov. 15: 181 fan photos from the Salem-Bassett football game
* Nov. 14: Photos from Salem volleyball’s state semi-final game vs. Hidden Valley
* Nov. 14: Salem High School Latin teacher wins recognition
* Nov. 11: Webcast looks back at Salem-Pulaski football game
* Nov. 8: Photos from Salem-Pulaski football game
* Photos of Salem fall sports teams