Roanoke County police have just released the following statement on this morning’s collision between a train and a tractor-trailer in western Roanoke County. No one was injured.
The full release follows:
Traffic Crash Involving Freight Train
• Type of Crash: Two Vehicle Crash
• Date of Crash: 06/29/09 Time of Crash: 08:15 a.m.
• Location of Crash: Garmin Road Railroad Crossing
• Investigating Officer: Officer R.J. Wygal
• Victim Name(s): N/A
• Suspect Name(s): N/A
• Charges if Applicable: Charges Pending
• The road was blocked to traffic
• Alcohol and/or drugs were not a factor.
• Seatbelts were worn by the victim(s).
• Weather was not a factor in the crash.
• Additional Remarks: On June 29, 2009 at approximately 0815 hrs. the Roanoke County Police Department responded to the 3600 block of Garmin road at the railway crossing in reference to a vehicle crash involving a tractor trailer and freight train. The subsequent investigation revealed that a 2001 Freightliner tractor/trailor was stopped on the south side of the West/East bound tracks headed north bound. The vehicle was stopped due to the crossing gate being down and a work crew working around the track. At some point the gate was raised and the tractor started across the tracks when it was struck by a west bound Norfolk Southern freight train. The force of the impact cut the empty trailer into two pieces. There were no injuries as a result of the crash and charges are pending. This release was prepared by Sgt. Mark F. Jervis.