A reader who identifies herself only as “Sherry” sends us this bear report:
“I see where in Salem a lot of people have been bothered with bears, well I have put up with the bears for the last 3 weeks. He comes by our house every night and takes our trash off. We live over in Roanoke county off of Creekside Drive. We can walk right up to the bear and shine a flash light in his face and he just sits there like it don’t even bother him. We have a beagle dog that howls all night but it don’t bother the bear. He is about 400lbs or maybe more ? but he just comes around here like this is his home . He is not afraid of us . What can we do to keep him away ? I am glad he don’t eat my dog.”
Anyone want to offer any advice?
Have you seen a bear around Salem or western Roanoke County? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Sept. 14: Susan Shotts reports more bears around Poor Mountain
* Sept. 14: Patrick Buck reports increase in bear sightings on Harborwood Road
* Sept. 9: Pam Means shares photos of a bear in her backyard
* Sept. 4: Donna Page reports seeing bear near Poor Mountain
* Aug. 21: Sandy Cooper reports bears rooting through trash cans at foot of Poor Mountain.