The City of Salem’s Holiday celebrations will be nonstop on the second weekend of December. The annual Christmas Tree Lighting will officially get the festivities started on Friday, Dec. 7 at 6 p.m. on the Salem Farmers Market. That will be followed by the much-anticipated Christmas Parade and a host of other events that weekend. Please take a moment to review these events and mark them on your calendars.
- Lighting of the Christmas Tree, Dec. 7, 6 p.m., Salem Farmers Market
- Christmas Parade, Dec. 7, 6:30 p.m., Downtown Salem
- Breakfast With Santa, Dec. 8, 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Salem Senior Center
- Ye Olde Salem Christmas, Dec. 8, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Downtown Salem
- Gingerbread Festival, Dec. 8, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Longwood Park
For more information about these events, click on the “Read More” link on the right.
Lighting of the City of Salem Christmas Tree
Come join us for the Annual Lighting of the City of Salem Christmas Tree on Friday, December 7, 6 p.m. at the Salem Farmers Market. This is a fun tradition that brings the community together in the downtown area to view the beautiful decorations on Main St. and enjoy holiday music just before the Salem Christmas Parade begins at 6:30 p.m.
Breakfast With Santa
Santa and Mrs. Claus are coming to town and would like to invite you to “Breakfast with Santa” on Saturday, December 8 at the Salem Senior Center, which is located at 110 Union St. The breakfast is scheduled from 9:00 – 10:30 a.m. and tickets are $5.00 per person and are ON SALE NOW. They can be purchased at the Salem Parks & Recreation Department at 620 Florida St. Proceeds from this event will benefit the Salem Lacrosse Foundation.
Ye Olde Salem Christmas
The Salem Parks & Recreation department also will present “Ye Olde Salem Christmas” on Saturday, December 8, at the Salem Farmers Market, Salem Library and throughout Downtown Salem.
Salem citizens, friends, and neighbors are invited to join in the fun from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. as we celebrate an old-fashioned Salem Christmas!
- Downtown Salem: Merchant Open Houses
- Salem Library: Pictures with Santa, Story time with Mrs. Claus, Children’s Activities and mailing letters to Santa. Plus, Hot Cider and Roasted Chestnuts
- Salem Farmers Market: Market Vendors, Craft Vendors, wreaths, baked goodies and Carriage Rides
- Longwood Park: Gingerbread Festival at Longwood Park Carriage House takes place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Lighting of the Christmas Tree, Breakfast with Santa and Ye Olde Salem Christmas are sponsored by the City of Salem Parks and Recreation Department. Get additional information at 375-3057.
The Salem Christmas Parade and Gingerbread Festival are sponsored by the Salem-Roanoke County Chamber of Commerce. You can get information on those events by calling 387-0267.
– Submitted by Mike Stevens