South Salem Elementary School held their annual Mini-Society Market on Friday, Dec. 7.
From Jenny Kidd, a third-grade teacher at South Salem:
Mrs. [Sandy] Kelley and I do this as part of our Economics unit. The children name their class society, design a flag, design class money and then earn money to spend buying goods in class and at home to make products to sell at the market. The children learn about producers, consumers, earning, spending, saving money, investing money and making a profit. They also learn about supply and demand and price and value. It is an exciting day when we have the market as our final project for the unit.
Pictured above are:
- Photo 1: Carter Work, Dylan Bender, Will Hicks and Clinton Horne are ready for business at the market.
- Photo 2: Nathan Mallock has made “Ocean in a Bottle” and has customers Abbie Ricker, Marie Snyder and Emma Blevins at his store.
- Photo 3: Shanya Allgayer and Dylan Willams are enjoying making money at the market.
- Photo 4: Dana Hobbs, Maigen Burton and Caden Love have been shopping and now are getting ready to sell some more goods.
- Photo 5: Mason Mitchell and Emily Johnson have their store ready for market.