Megan Cronise, principal planner for the Roanoke County Economic Development Committee, shares the following information in the monthly Community Developments newsletter about an upcoming public meeting to be held by VDOT at Fort Lewis Elementary School on Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013:
VDOT is hosting citizen information meetings to seek public input on the Tier 2 Environmental Study for Interstate 81 between Roanoke and Christiansburg on the following dates:
- Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2013, from 5-7 p.m. in the Falling Branch Elementary School cafeteria (735 Falling Branch Road in Christiansburg); Snow date will be Wednesday, Feb. 13
- Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013, from 5-7 p.m. in the Fort Lewis Elementary School cafeteria (3115 West Main St. in Salem); Snow date will be Thursday, Feb. 14
The Tier 2 Study will:
- Evaluate site-specific conditions and impacts before design and location decisions are made
- Examine traffic, wetlands, land use, cultural resources, air, noise and recreational facilities, etc.
- Validate/update info from Tier 1 (number of lanes needed, traffic)
- Look at a “corridor width” and appropriately sized “bubble” for interchanges
- Consider location of lanes (inside, outside or combination) may be recommended in some locations.
VDOT Citizen Information Meetings on Interstate 81 Tier 2 Environmental Study