The Fine Arts Center for the New River Valley has announced the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards regional winners, including students from Glenvar High School and Glenvar Middle School.
As Southwest Virginia’s regional sponsor for the awards through the National Alliance for Young Artists & Writers, the center accepts entries from the counties of Pulaski, Smyth, Giles, Grayson, Bland, Carroll, Craig, Montgomery, Patrick, Roanoke and Wythe; and the cities of Radford, Martinsville and Bristol. FACNRV has sponsored the art portion of the award program for 15 years.
In all, the center received 719 pieces of artwork from around the region. The team of judges awarded five American Vision Nominees, 100 gold keys, 78 silver keys and 75 honorable mentions on Saturday, Jan. 19.
Gold key pieces compete nationally for gold and silver medals, cash awards and scholarships. Adjudication nationally will be complete by late February, and winners will be announced and notified in mid-March.
The winning pieces are currently on exhibit at the center’s gallery at 21 W. Main St. in Pulaski. The awarding of certificates and pins is Sunday, Feb. 17 from 2 to 4 p.m.
The awards were established in 1923 by M.R. Robinson, who also founded Scholastic Inc., now a global children’s publishing and media company, to encourage, foster and reward creativity in our nation’s classrooms. Throughout their 91-year history, the awards have bestowed early recognition upon some of our nation’s most celebrated artists and writers, including Truman Capote, Robert Redford, Andy Warhol and many others.
– Submitted by Judy Ison, Executive Director, Fine Arts Center for the New River Valley
Keep reading for the list of winners from Glenvar.
- Sarah Mullins, senior, Glenvar High School, drawing, ”Carousel,” Gold Key
- Sarah Mullins, senior, Glenvar High School, drawing, ”Sunset Garden,” Gold Key
- Carolyn Marciniec, sophomore, Glenvar High School, drawing, ”Out Of The Dark,” Silver Key
- Logan Hux, eighth-grader, Glenvar Middle School, painting, ”Lazy Days,” Silver Key
- James Atherton, junior, Glenvar High School, mixed media, ”Queen of Roses,” Honorable Mention
- Cassidy Jennell, senior, Glenvar High School, sculpture, ”Puzzle Cube,” Honorable Mention
- Amber Montgomery, senior, Glenvar High School, painting, ”Just Thrown Over,” Honorable Mention
- Alexis Haynes, seventh-grader, Glenvar Middle School, drawing, ”Time At The Mall,” Honorable Mention
- Eisabella Nichols, eighth-grader, Glenvar Middle School, painting, ”Mosaic Horse,” Honorable Mention