Black Friday puts a lot of focus on the big-box retailers, but don’t forget about our locally owned stores on this Small Business Saturday.
If you need a reason to shop local, try these from Independent We Stand, which maintains an online database of locally owned businesses, from retailers to banks and book keeping services:
- When you spend $100 at an independent business, $68 returns to the local community. Spend that same amount at a national chain and it drops to $43
- Small business accounts for 75% of all new jobs
- Locally owned businesses reinvest in the local economy at a 60% higher rate than chains and internet retailers
- Small businesses create more than half the non-farm private gross domestic product (GDP)
- Locally owned and operated businesses create higher-paying jobs for you and your neighbors
- More of your tax dollars are reinvested in your community to fund local schools, hire more police officers and improve roads