It’s Hidden Valley week here at SWoCo. And also North Cross. And Faith Christian. In last week’s print edition, we previewed fall sports at Cave Spring High School, just in time for the Knights’ kick-off last weekend. This week, we look at fall sports at the other schools. And that makes now a good time for a few programming notes:
* We want your fall sports photos. If you have photos that involve teams or players from Southwest Roanoke County, you can share them at email@example.com. We’ll post them here — and use as many as we can in full color in our weekly print edition, which reaches more than 90 percent of the households in Southwest Roanoke County. We can’t be everywhere with our cameras, but you’re already there, so send ‘em on! (How do we do that 90 percent thing? See below!)
* Check here for junior varsity and middle school scores. Our cousins in the sports department at The Roanoke Times publish varsity scores, but not lower age levels. We will, and we have. Here are the most recent results from Cave Spring and Hidden Valley. We care about all sports at all age levels. If you’re not seeing your school’s action here, ask ‘em to send it — or you can send your own report. Rec league, too!
In Friday’s print edition, you’ll see places where we say “see the Notebook” for more. Here’s a guide to where to find those online extras:
* Photos of the ‘50s show at the Jefferson Center
* Cave Spring United Methodist Church seeks money for Katrina victims
* Civil War expert Bud Robertson to speak at 419 library
* More on the Star Country Cure Kids Cancer radiothon
* More photos from Faith Christian orientation
* More on bear sightings in Southwest Roanoke County — including our map of bear sightings in Western Virginia.
* More photos from Colonial Presbyterian’s Vacation Bible School. (Does your church have photos to share?)
* Who’s selling beer to your kids? See which stores have been busted for selling to underage buyers.
And in sports . . .
* August 26: Cave Spring golfers featured on Varsity Cast webcast.
* August 24: Photo gallery from Cave Spring’s football opener.
* Photos of Hidden Valley’s fall sports teams.
* Photos from North Cross football practice
Want to get your news and photos (and ads!) in SWoCo? Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more info, see below:
* You can meet our community journalist for Southwest Roanoke County — Emily Flora. She keeps regular office hours at our “bureau” — the Mill Mountain Coffee & Tea on Starkey Road. Here’s her schedule.
* So how do we reach more than 90 percent of the households in Southwest Roanoke County? Here’s how: Subscribers to The Roanoke Times get it included in their Friday paper; non-subscribers have it mailed to them as part of the weekly Simply Savings advertising flier. Those two add up to more than 90 percent. Plus, we have some free copies available at Kroger, Food Lion and Mill Mountain Coffee & Tea in case we miss you somehow.
* Are you an advertiser who wants to get your message to more than 90 percent of the households in Southwest Roanoke County? You can find out more at email@example.com. Want to place a classified ad to reach your neighbors in Swoco? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, a special treat: SWoco, the video. A trilogy, actually.
Plus, an invitation: Write a song or a poem about SWoCo! Send it to us at email@example.com and, well, we’ll figure out something fun to do with it. We promise.