The fire marshal’s office says that Saturday’s fire that displaced three people on Bent Mountain was caused by an electrical failure in the heating system. The residence was a barn that had been converted into a home in the 9200 block of Poor Mountain Road.
We had a previous post about the fire on Feb. 21.
Here’s today’s full release from Roanoke County Fire & Rescue:
Electrical Failure Causes Total Loss of Old Barn in Roanoke County February 27, 2009
(ROANOKE COUNTY) – The Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that an electrical failure in the heating system caused the fire in the 9200 block of Poor Mountain Road last Saturday morning.
Roanoke County Fire and Rescue was dispatched to the 9200 block of Poor Mountain Road in the early morning hours of February 21, for a reported structure fire. When firefighters arrived, they found a 120’ by 60’ barn with heavy flames coming from the two sides of the large red barn.
It took career and volunteer fire crews from the Bent Mountain, Back Creek, Cave Spring and Clearbrook stations about and hour and a half to get the blaze under control.
Fire Crews were able to protect the home that sits about 30 feet away from the barn. The barn was built in the 1930’s and had been renovated into three components including a garage, work-shop and apartment where three adult females had recently moved in.
All three residents were able to call 9-1-1 and then escape without injury. The building is a total loss and damage estimates are not yet available. A volunteer firefighter suffered minor burns to one of his hands.