Once, newsboys stood on corners and hawked “extra” editions.
Nowadays, well, we post our “extras” here online. As you’ve likely noticed by now, we try to post everything we get as soon as we get it (or as fast as our little typing fingers can move.) Then, we use what we can in print and invite readers to come here online to see, well, all those extras.
Such as last week’s Cave Spring game.
Or, well, you get the idea . . .
And now, here’s our guide to this week’s extras.
* Police report rape, four burglaries in Southwest Roanoke County
* Photo of bear rummaging trash can in Kings Chase
* Paparazzi photos of Southwest Roanoke County people at Greek Festival
* Video: Is David Lawson the Ultimate Hokie Fan?
* More photos from Showtimers’ “Wait Until Dark”
* More photos from the Starkey school reunion
* More photos from the Blue Ridge Autism and Achievement Center fundraiser at Valhalla Vineyards
* More photos from North Cross Legacy picnic
* More photos from Meadowlark Road block party
* More photos from back-to-school night at Hidden Valley Middle and Cave Spring Middle
* More paparazzi photos from Olde Salem Days
* More photos of Cave Spring Rescue Squad open house
AND IN SPORTS . . .
* More photos from Cave Spring High School pep rally
* More photos of Cave Spring Falcons vs. Hidden Valley Titans
* More photos from Knights Crossing cross country
* More photos from Cave Spring-Northside JV football
* More photos from that amazing Cave Spring win over Northside
* More photos of Valley AFC Crush vs. Glenvar Lions
* More photos of Junior Titans vs. Franklin County Yellow Jackets
* More photos of Matt Williams at Navy
So how can you get your news and photos in SWoCo? Easy! Just share at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on us — and how to advertise and reach more than 90 percent of the households in Southwest Roanoke County — see below:
* You can meet our community journalist for Southwest Roanoke County — Emily Flora. She keeps regular office hours at our “bureau” — the Mill Mountain Coffee & Tea on Starkey Road. Here’s her schedule.
* Want to keep up with us in other ways? You can join our “fan group” on Facebook or become one of our “followers” on Twitter. Just search for “swoco” and you’ll find us.
* So how do we reach more than 90 percent of the households in Southwest Roanoke County? Here’s how: Subscribers to The Roanoke Times get it included in their Friday paper; non-subscribers have it mailed to them as part of the weekly Simply Savings advertising flier. Those two add up to more than 90 percent. Plus, we have some free copies available at Kroger, Food Lion and Mill Mountain Coffee & Tea in case we miss you somehow.
* Are you an advertiser who wants to get your message to more than 90 percent of the households in Southwest Roanoke County? You can find out more at email@example.com. Want to place a classified ad to reach your neighbors in Swoco? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, a special treat: SWoco, the video. A trilogy, actually.
Plus, an invitation: Write a song or a poem about SWoCo! Send it to us at email@example.com and, well, we’ll figure out something.