Roanoke County Fire & Rescue was dispatched to the 8400 block of Martins Creek Road around 9 p.m. for a reported structure fire.
When crews arrived they found a small fire in a bedroom. The adult male occupant improperly discarded his cigarette causing nearby combustibles to catch fire then spreading to the mattress. The occupant tried to douse the flames causing burns to his arm. He was transported to a local hospital and is expected to be okay.
The fire was contained to the bedroom and the home has minor smoke and water damage. Damage estimates are figured to be between $5,000 – $10,000.
Submitted by Roanoke County Fire & EMS