W. Douglas Thompson Jr., 64, of Floyd County was seriously injured Friday night after the motorcycle he was driving collided with a cow that was in the highway at the intersection of U.S. 221 and Poage Valley Road.
A spokesman for Carilion Clinic said Thompson is listed in critical condition. To read more, click here.
Here is the release from the Roanoke County Police Department:
• Type of Crash: Single Vehicle Crash
• Date of Crash: 11/09/2012 Time of Crash: 2224
• Location of Crash: Bent Mountain Road @ Poage Valley Road
• Investigating Officer: PO II S P Chuyka
• Victim Name(s): W Douglas Thompson, Jr.
• Victim Age: 64
• Victim Residence Location: Floyd, VA
• Suspect Name(s): N/A
• Suspect Age: N/A
• Suspect Residence Location: N/A
• Charges if Applicable: Pending
• The road was blocked to traffic
• Alcohol and/or drugs were not a factor.
• Seatbelts N/A
• Weather was not a factor in the crash.
• Additional Remarks: On Friday, November 09 2012, at approximately 10:24 PM Officers of the Roanoke County Police Department responded to a single vehicle crash on Bent Mountain Road at the intersection of Poage Valley Rd. A Motorcycle had collided with a cow that was blocking the roadway in an unlighted portion of Bent Mountain Road. W Douglas Thompson Jr. was the only occupant of the motorcycle and was transported to a local hospital with life threatening injuries.