The Roanoke County Fire Marshal has determined that an electrical heat lamp located under a deck is the cause of a fire earlier today that burned through a deck then spread to the house, causing $38,000 in damages. The house was in the 3800 block of Thompsons Lane in Roanoke County.
Fire investigators were able to narrow the origin of the fire to under a rear deck where a heat lamp was located. It is undeterminable whether the fire sparked from combustibles too close to the bulb or whether a heat lamp wire malfunctioned. Once the fire sparked, it burned through the deck and extended through a kitchen window and rear soffit reaching the kitchen and attic area causing significant damage to those areas. Firefighters were able to knock down the fire within about six minutes and then contain the inside portion of the fire to the kitchen and attic area before it spread to other rooms or the roof. The house does have extensive smoke damage, requiring the family to reside elsewhere for now. The Red Cross has offered assistance to the family.
Firefighters were able to rescue several animals from inside the home including a bunny, dog and four cats. Two cats remain missing; however firefighters believe they are likely hiding.
Submitted by Roanoke County Fire and Rescue