Town of Christiansburg continues clean-up, does not plan cooling shelter Sunday
(Christiansburg, Virginia) – As of Saturday evening, Appalachian Power estimates that approximately 2,000 Christiansburg customers are still without power after Friday night’s storm.
Throughout the day on Saturday, Town crews and community members worked to clean up downed trees, limbs, and other debris left by the storm.
“There has been a tremendous showing of community support,” said Town Manager Barry Helms.
Collected tree limbs, brush, etc. should be piled near the edge of the road. Town crews will begin collection on Monday. There will be no charge for this service.
Though high temperatures are expected to continue, community needs are being met and there are currently no plans to open a cooling shelter on Sunday. Residents who remain without power should seek relief with friends, relatives, or at one of the many businesses in the area that has regained power.
Residents are still encouraged to check on neighbors to ensure their well-being throughout this heat wave.
To check on the status of a power outage, please call Appalachian Power at (800) 956-4237.
The Town of Christiansburg also wishes to thank the community for their support and patience throughout the clean-up efforts.
Submitted by Becky Wilburn, Director of Human Resources and Public Relations, Town of Christiansburg
OTHER STORM COVERAGE:
* Floyd County may not get power until Tuesday; others longer
* Photos: Storm damage around the New River Valley
* Regional coverage and updates from The Roanoke Times
* Weather journalist Kevin Myatt has storm updates on the Weather Journal
* Montgomery County declares emergency, shelters open
* Pulaski County opens shelters
* Rep. Morgan Griffith, R-Salem, issues statement on the storm
* Gov. Bob McDonnell declares state of emergency
* Health department issues tips on food safety following power outages
You can share storm photos at email@example.com or use the “share” tool to upload 10 at a time. If you have a first-person account, you can leave it in the comment field below.
No Comments »
No comments yet.