NRV SkyFest AirShow to celebrate airport’s 50th anniversary Sept. 7-9 in Dublin
The NRV SkyFest AirShow will be held Sept. 7-9 in Dublin to celebrate the New River Valley Airport’s 50th anniversary.
This is the first air show in the New River Valley since 1999, and fans are still talking about the F/A 18 Hornet’s maneuvers, The Wing walker’s insanity, nostalgic Warbirds, parachute teams, biplanes, the Russian MiG, Extra 300 aerobatics, and all of the fun things they did at the airshow 13 years ago.
This year, fans can expect an airshow even more dynamic with some added attractions:
On Friday, Sept. 7, a Twilight AirShow will be held from 5 to 10:30 p.m. There will also be a Virginia Beers Garden, a concert by The Worx, and all of the entertainment, attractions and performances listed below, plus some surprises.
On Saturday and Sunday, there will be two full days of airshow excitement from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., including the attractions below:
- “Just Plane Grapes” WineFest (Sat only)
- Classic Car Cruise-In (Sat only)
- The Para Commandos Parachute Team – Elite Military Forces flag jump & formations in the air
- Inverted Airplane Ribbon Cutting – Just feet off the ground
- Untethered Wing-walking (without a parachute)
- Military demos, static displays & Warbirds
- Formation Team flying and opposing maneuvers
- The world’s youngest aerobatic performer (indisputably one of the very best airshow performers today)
- Kid Zone / Fun Zone for all ages including a Rock Wall, Zip Line, Bunge Jump, Blue Angel Bounce
- Children’s activities & games
- Cockpit Photos
- Live entertainment and comedy of all sorts
- Business Expo Showcasing Southwest Virginia’s finest businesses
- Fried Oreos, funnel cakes, pizza, sausages, cheese steaks, and some crazy food & beverages
- A concert on the air show stage after the air show every day
Organizers anticipate that one of the most talked-about performances this coming year will be something you hope not to see on Interstate 81: an airplane landing on top of a pick-up truck as it drives down the runway!
– Submitted by Debbie Seagle