The answers are in! Click on the “Read More” link to see the answers to our schools quiz.
1. Which school’s Air Force JROTC marksmanship team came in fourth this year at national competition?
D. Franklin County
Franklin County’s team finished fourth out of 28 teams at the National All Service JROTC Championship and were the first Air Force team to place nationally in the history of the program, according to retired Air Force Lt. Col. Tracey Carter in a Roanoke Times article in March.
2. What school was named after the governor of Virginia who served from 1768-70?
B. Lord Botetourt
Norborne Berkeley, baron de Botetourt, served as governor from 1768 until his death in 1770, according to Encyclopedia Virginia.
3. At which school did former President Bill Clinton speak at during the 2012-13 school year?
C. Patrick Henry
Bill Clinton came to speak at Patrick Henry High School in November 2012 while campaigning for presidential candidate Barack Obama.
4. Which school’s Forensics Team has won eight consecutive state titles?
According to coach Mike Ingerson, Salem’s eighth-straight title this school year is the 3rd longest streak in VHSL forensics history, behind Blacksburg’s 15 consecutive (1989-2003) and Madison County’s 9 straight (1995-2003).
5. What school has an annual Tennis Prom that includes mixed tennis matches between the school’s boys’ and girls’ teams?
D. North Cross
6. What school’s alumni include professional athletes such as basketball player J.J. Redick and football players Tiki and Ronde Barber?
B. Cave Spring
7. What school’s mascot is said to be based on a movie? BONUS: Can you name the mascot and the movie?
A. Hidden Valley
The movie “Remember the Titans” (2000) starring Denzel Washington came out the year before Hidden Valley and its Titans rolled into the Roanoke Valley.
8. What school started in someone’s basement?
C. North Cross
According to a SoSalem article by Emily Paine Carter in 2007, “patron May Butts (wife of Howard Butts) launched the school in her Langhorne Place basement in 1944, when the public school board wouldn’t admit her two-weeks-too-young daughter, Cynthia, to the first grade.”
9. Match each school to its mascot.
William Byrd Terriers
Christiansburg Blue Demons
Staunton River Golden Eagles