It’s a new year so many of us have dusted off our sneakers in an effort to burn off the holiday binges and fight off the winter blues. If you happen to be a goal-oriented type, here’s a run you can start training for that will help shelter pets here in Roanoke.
The Roanoke Valley SPCA will hold its first annual Tail Chaser 5K…Running for Their Lives on March 30. The event will begin at Roanoke’s Wasena Park to River’s Edge and back and it will be timed.
If you are like me and can’t run (my bionic knee apparently lacks the super powers I had hoped it would contain) the One Mile Black Dog Salvage Walk will stroll from Wasena Park to Vic Thomas Park and back.
Friendly, leashed canine companions can accompany you (proof of vaccinations will be required at check in.)
Here are more details:
- Run begins at 9 a.m. (on-site registration opens at 7:30 a.m.)
- Dog Walk begins at 10 a.m.
- Registration is required to participate in the Tail Chaser 5K &/or 1 Mile Black Dog Salvage Dog Walk
- Pre-registration fee – Tail Chaser 5K – $20 (runner), $5 canine companion (runner); 1 Mile Black Dog Salvage Dog Walk – $20 (walker),
$5 canine companion (walker)
- Day-Of registration fee – Tail Chaser 5K – $30 (runner), $5 canine companion (runner); 1 Mile Black Dog Salvage Dog Walk – $30 (walker),
canine companion $5 (walker).
- Online pre-registration closes at 6 p.m. on March 27.
- Prizes and plaques wil be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place overall runners (both male & female.)
- T-shirts will be guaranteed to the first 100 runners/walkers to register before March 1.
- Tail Chaser 5K bandanas guaranteed to the first 100 dogs registered.