It is the holiday season and I have been rather busy with cooking and baking for parties and sending out Christmas cards. As much as I try to make sure everything is out of the reach of my notorious counter surfer, Melissa Moo, she has found a way to purloin a few goodies.
Most notably, on Saturday I had a bag of brown sugar — about one quarter full — pushed to the very back of the kitchen counter. It was placed there so I could make a praline topping for a pumpkin cheesecake that was cooling in the fridge.
I needed to step away for a moment (bathroom break) and I heard the sound of paper rustling. I was sure the dogs were probably unwrapping a Christmas present. After I was able to return to the living room, I was relieved to see all the gifts intact.
Then I rounded the corner to the kitchen to find the remnants of the brown sugar bag, shredded and completely empty of its content.
While I have no doubt Melissa was the thief, I am sure she had help from the other two pooches in consuming the delicious treat she surfed off the counter.
A call to the emergency vet assured us that, while we could probably expect diarrhea, there should be no serious ill effects to their criminal indulgence. Luckily, none of them had any reaction at all other than a mellow look similar to a someone who just satisfied a serious munchie craving.
Yesterday morning, my daughter presented me the remnants of a glue stick. I use glue sticks to seal envelopes (I’ve seen that episode of Seinfeld and take no chances). Most of the non-toxic glue was still in the well-chewed stick, but later in the day one of the dogs’ Christmas pillow coverings needed to be run through the washer on the sanitize setting.
My point is, DO BETTER THAN I DO and be careful to keep harmful stuff out of the reach of your pets.
Typical holiday hazards include:
- Chocolate and other sweets (this would include brown sugar)
- Salty, fatty meats
- Bread dough (the yeast can actually rise in the dog’s tummy and cause bloat)
- Lights, electric cords and ornaments
Just take as much care as possible and if your pet gets into something they shouldn’t, be sure to consult your vet or the emergency vet, 563-8575.