A free Adventure Tourism Workshop is being held Sept. 20 for those interested in starting a business in the outdoor recreation industry. The Roanoke Regional Partnership and other organizations are hosting the event at Camp Roanoke in Salem. The workshop will cover opportunities, practices and steps to launch a tourism business. Space is limited. To register, visit http://www.vastartup.org/register/events/701.
Here is the press release from the becher agency.
ROANOKE, Va. (August 1, 2012) — The Roanoke Regional Partnership and other local
organizations are hosting an Adventure Tourism Workshop for anyone interested in starting a business in the growing outdoor recreation industry.
The workshop, to be held from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. on Sept. 20 at Camp Roanoke, 6498 Dry Hollow Road in Salem, will outline the opportunities, best practices and steps required to launch a successful adventure tourism business.
Industry business owners and professionals will be available to provide an update on the region’s tourism developments and provide tips to launch, market and finance a business.
Workshop topics will include:
• Regional tourism initiatives
• Business in the Commonwealth
• How to start and operate a business
• Marketing assistance and strategies
• Financing/managing resources
• Managing your risks
• Available resources
The workshop is free and requires advanced registration with space limited to 100 attendees. To register, please visit http://www.vastartup.org/register/events/701 or call (540) 387-6078.
Scheduled speakers include:
• Landon Howard, Roanoke Valley Convention & Visitors Bureau
• Randy Rose, Virginia Tourism Corporation
• Pete Eshelman, Roanoke Regional Partnership
• John Mays, Twin River Outfitters
• Stratton Delany, Star Light Bicycles
• Aaron Dykstra, Six Eleven Bicycle Company
• Nathan Kerr, Scott Insurance
• Linda Gilbert, Virginia DBA’s Small Business Financing Authority
• Becky Nave, People Inc.
• Sandy Ratliff, Virginia Department of Business Assistance
• Tom Tanner, Roanoke Regional Small Business Development Center
• Kitty Barker, Virginia Tourism Corporation
The event sponsors include the Roanoke Regional Partnership, Roanoke Economic Development,
Roanoke County Parks and Recreation, Roanoke County Economic Development, Alleghany
Highlands Chamber of Commerce, Franklin County, Virginia Tourism Corporation, Roanoke Valley Convention & Visitors Bureau, Ninth District Development Financing, Scott Insurance, and Virginia Department of Business Assistance.
About the Roanoke Regional Partnership
The Roanoke Regional Partnership is a public-private organization established in 1983 to promote living and working in the Greater Roanoke region. In 2011, the Partnership assisted companies that invested $52 million and announced 863 new jobs. The Partnership is supported by the governments of Alleghany, Botetourt, Franklin and Roanoke counties; cities of Roanoke and Salem; and the town of Vinton. More than 220 businesses are investors in the organization. To learn more, please visit www.Roanoke.org, www.RoanokeOutside.com and www.RoanokeEntrepreneur.com.