In my column in Sunday’s Roanoke Times, which you can read HERE, I wrote about the self-satisfaction I felt (and the huge $$$ I saved) by fixing the trolling motor on my boat.
The shaft casing (which is topped by the round gear, which is driven by the drive gear from the foot pedal) threads into a cup (not sure what else to call it), and those threads were not tight and would not hold even when tightened. So I and friend Alfie Hammerstrom took the thing apart, put LocTite on the threads, put it back together and it appears to be fixed. However, I haven’t had it on the water yet so we’ll see.
Meanwhile, Alfie’s got a couple old outboards that he acquired, and both needed new impellers. He tackled the 10 hp model first, and got the lower unit off and the impeller in. Getting the lower unit back on proved to be somewhat troublesome because it requires that the gears on top of the drive shaft and transmission line up with the receiving gears. It’s a cumbersome job for one person, so Alfie called me and I went to help. It took us some wiggling but we got the thing put back together.
Then came the moment of truth: starting the motor. Alas, many pulls yielded no fire. It was running prior to the impeller job (which is how Alfie realized it needed a new impeller) so not sure what to think.
On the topic of refurbishing old stuff, I got an email from reader Grigg Mullen Jr. of Rockbridge Baths regarding an amazing project he undertook a few years ago. He built a deadrise bay workboat, complete with a 1930s motor. He journaled the project online HERE. Again, it’s a totally amazing project that puts my little handyman jobs in perspective.